Coast and River

Black Jezebel (Delias nigrina)
Thursday 13th June

I planned to spend the morning walking the little sections of the Kiama coast walk that I had not got to yesterday.
Minnamurra Beach















I walked up onto Minnamura Headland and wondered why I'd put clean trousers on that morning the whole side of the hill was absolutely soggy. It's grass but very soggy and muddy.  I ended up with little mud splashes  all up my trousers. 
Panorama from Minnamurra Headland
Cathedral Rocks
between Minnamurra and Bombo
I walked to the whale watching platform but there was no sign of whales, not that I loitered too long to watch. I noticed that to the north there's some headlands that are have a lot of surf coming; the sea is really rough.

I found an alternate way down off the headland which was considerably dryer underfoot.
I made a quick stop at Cathedral Rocks - quite a nice coastal feature.

Then I walked out onto Bombo headland via the Boneyard.  I am not sure what I expected of the Boneyard but I was a little underwhelmed. It was a rock platform. 
The Boneyard














The view of the area between the two headlands is just amazing! The geology is really something else! I'm assuming it's basalt or something like basalt, but I could be wrong.
Interesting buttress roots 




From the headland, I could look down on one narrow, very rocky gutter, where the surf was definitely up in a take no prisoners kind of way!

On Bombo Headland
(northern part looking south)













From the southern point of Bombo headlands I walked around to what was labelled on Google Maps as a geologic feature; it was the gutter I had looked at from the Northern headland. I was most impressed with the rock formations, but also the way the sea was absolutely boiling in that gutter. I would not want to be caught in that!
Looking South from Bombo Headland


From there it was onwards to Nowra to walk Ben's Walk.  The website noted A suspension bridge provides a fun crossing of the river   it failed to note the even more challenging river crossing by rock hopping further upstream.
Interesting.....












I started by heading for a feature called Hanging Rock, which has a lookout but some red and white tape stamped danger surrounded quite a deep area of subsidence in the middle of the track and while others had removed the hindrance of the tape, my risk assessment said turn around!

The 'Geologic Feature' at Bombo headland
I crossed the suspension bridge and reflected that I'd experienced far more bouncy suspension bridges.  As I followed the path, which was basically along the edge of a grassy area, I reflected that maybe I should have started on the other side of the river, as the bush looked more interesting.  My path got more interesting - in the way that so many walks over the last few days have been - mud and puddles.  A makeshift alternate route had more appeal, so I persevered.  The path entered bush and it got rockier, which slowed my pace, then I came to the river crossing....
Sandstone formations on Ben's Walk






Another quick risk assessment and I turned around and retraced my steps.

The Suspension Bridge on Ben's Walk










One delightful find early in the walk was a Black Jezebel (Delias nigrina) butterfly - lovely colours on the underside of the wings.

From the suspension bridge on Ben's Walk





Back at the car I enjoyed the drive through one particular street in Nowra which was lined with a tree I could not identify but which were in full flower - the effect was delightful!
From the Suspension Bridge - the other direction










I headed for my Airbnb at Jervis Bay for the night - Airbnb booked this morning because the forecast is for rain starting in the early hours.  
Interesting riverside cliffs - Ben's Walk






I stopped at the local IGA and noting a real butcher in the same shopping complex, indulged in a one-person serve of meat to accompany my roast vegetables.  The young lad who served me obviously eats much more meat than I do.  Half was put aside for the following night (to be accompanied by the leftover medley of roast veggies - buying veg for a medley of roast veg for one person is nigh on impossible!)
Cross the river by rock hopping - or maybe not




I did a load of washing - essential given that I can currently get my trousers muddy in a single day.  In the absence of anything to dry it (clothes hangers, airer...) I extracted my awning guy ropes from the car and improvised!
Interesting lichens on Ben's Walk











Communications with a local dive operator have suggested that the purpose of bringing my dive gear with me was so that I could put the effort into moving it from the back of the car to the driver's seat whenever I am camping.  
And the track was wet and muddy





She checked out her dive sites and the assessment was that my preference for great conditions and good visibility didn't have a hope in hell of being met, given the weather of the past few days. (And watching the water at Bombo headland today, I am not surprised)
The flowers on the trees that lined the street





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobart to Geelong - a painful trip!

It pays to be flexible

The start of a grand trip - on the Grand Ridge Road